Benefits of R13 Batt Wool Insulation
- Batt wool insulation may be used in all insulation applications.
- Fast, easy, and safe installation requiring no special protective clothing.
- Class A rated for Fire Resistance and Smoke Development.
- Treated with boric acid to resist insects.
- Wool does not support the growth of mold.
- Passive House High-performance building material.
- Passive air filtration – amino acids in wool bond with harmful chemicals.
- No off-gassing — natural characteristics make our insulation devoid of harmful chemicals.
What is R13 Batt Wool Insulation?
R13 batt insulation is typically used to attenuate sound in interior wall cavities. It is akin to a large blanket, designed specifically to fill a wall, floor, or ceiling cavity. Batts were largely developed with the consumer in mind as they are ideal for perfectly sized modern framing with few electrical and plumbing obstructions. Quickly place them into the cavity and you are ready for drywall and finish work. Our R13 Insulation does just that.
Batts come in different sizes for different cavities. Our R13 insulation measures 3.5in thick and is designed specifically for 2×4 framing. (Our R20 insulation fits 2×6 framing). Note we sell R13 batts in 16in On Center and 24in On Center which allows you to use it in wall cavities where studs are 16in or 24in apart.
Why use R13 Wool Insulation?
Whether you are building a new home, renovating one or just doing a simple DIY project, there are many reasons to choose R13 insulation As mentioned above, our R13 batt insulation is designed specifically for 2×4 wall cavities and the installation is very easy. All you’ll need is a few staples and your wall is insulated.
Its thermal insulation performance (R-13) compliments an interior wall assembly nicely (for exterior walls we do suggest blown-in or R20). Our batt insulation also absorbs sound incredibly well which is important when insulating interior walls. They have a Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC) of 90% which exceeds that of most other insulation products on the market.
Our R13 insulation manages moisture incredibly well. Given the average family of 4 produces an average of 2.5 gallons of water vapor every single day, you need an insulation that can actively manage this. Wool fibers inherently manage moisture, absorbing and releasing it against 65% relative humidity. This allows for condensation to be minimized as wool generates heat from energy, thus making it warm when wet. Equally important, wool is a keratin and therefore will not support the growth of mold. All this helps keep your wall cavities dry and reduces any risk of moisture-related issues.
Key Benefits of R13 Insulation
- High R-Value, up to 3.8 per inch
- Installs without equipment, or protective clothing
- Simplicity of measuring and ordering
- Requires modification around electrical, plumbing
- Minimal prep work
Tips on Proper Installation
Tools you’ll need to install :
- Measuring tape
- Insulation knife
- Measuring tape
- Insulation wires
When placing batts in a cavity you want a nice snug fit with the insulation contacting all sides. A simple stapler will work to secure the wool insulation to all wall sides. This will ensure optimal performance. Where the insulation needs to be cut to account for wiring, electrical boxes, etc simply use scissors or your insulation knife. Our R13 batt insulation can be easily manipulated to get a proper fit.
In addition to placing batts, you will also want to make sure your exterior walls are airtight. There are tons of resources available to the DIY community on air sealing… from where to find leaks and how to address them. We’d start with identifying the major culprits. Make sure to check places like exterior door frames, window frames, outlets and switches, etc. From there you can determine the best method of air sealing – caulk, weather stripping, tape, flashing.
Important Shipping Information
- Small Orders ship in boxes via FedEx.
- You will need to schedule and be present for delivery. Shipping company contact details and tracking number will be provided.
- Pallets ship LTL on a semi-truck with a 53′ trailer. Oneway streets, dirt or gravel roads can be problematic and require full disclosure at time of order. Max pallet size is 4’x4’x8′ and is delivered to the curb of street and driveway, it is not delivered to your door.
- Complimentary curb-side lift gate offered on every delivery.
- Please DO NOT accept any offers for inside delivery. The driver’s are not authorized to offer this and it incurs an extra charge of $150.
- Please add up to 3-5 days to shipping estimates for rural addresses.
- We will accept returns with a 20% restocking fee. The customer is responsible for shipping cost.